The Courthouse stands prominently on Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg. It is surrounded by a open green area. The stocks stand immediately outside for punishment meted out by the jury. In the 1770's, a juror was required to be white, male and a landowner. Major offenses were heard at the Capitol; minor issues were heard at the courthouse.